The West Virginia. Cyclopedia

Algonquin, West Virginia

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Algonguin, on Flat Top Mountain, in Mercer County, was established as a mining town in about 1914 by the Algonquin Coal Company. State mining records indicate the Algonquin Coal Company operated its mining operation at Algonguin from 1915 to 1929. The Algonquin operation worked the Pocahontas No. 3 seam and shipped coal from its No. 1 and 2 mines via the Norfolk & Western Railway and the Virginian Railway. A post office was established at Algonquin at an unknown date.

The Oct. 28, 1918 edition of Black Diamond featured an article on the Algonquin Coal Company's mining operation at Algonquin. At that time the company employed 100 workers at the mine. At the time the article was published Algonuin had a company store, bowling alley, club house, and a motion picture theater. The company's coal was sold through the Smokeless Fuel Company.


The name of the mine was changed to Lamar in about 1930, when the Lamar Colliery Company took over operation of the Algonquin mines. According to state mining records the Lamar Colliery Company operated the Lamar mine from 1930 through the early 1950s.

( ( ( ( 

Map of Algonquin and Vicinity

Visit Google Books to download a PDF of this book.