The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
The prehistoric stone-and-earth ruins at Ben's Run, or Bens Run, in Tyler County, are among the most extensive found in the United States. Two parallel circular walls, several miles long and 120 apart, enclose an area of more than 400 acres. The enclosures are often referred to as "earthworks" or as an "earthen fort" and are described as being made of earth and stone without reference to specific materials used. However, the author does speak of two "paved rocks" discovered nearby by European settlers.
From a account written in 1927:
The length of the outer, main walled enclosure was reported to be about 1-7/8 miles, with the length of the outer wall being about 4-1/2 half miles. A second, inner wall, that run parallel to the outer wall was said to be about 4-1/4 miles in length. Together, the two walls totaled in lenghth about 8-1/2 miles of earthen walls that enclosing the 400-acre area. White settlers of about 1880 stated the walls were higher that an average man, as a person standing behind them could not see over the tops. Within these walls, were located two mounds, one about 4 feet high and about 60 feet in circumference. The second mound was about 14 feet high and 420 feet in circumference. Just south of the mounds was a cross wall, running from side to side of the enclosure. In addition, two long curved walls running towards the south were positioned lengthwise to the outer walls. The curved walls ran in a direction away from the cross wall, not connecting with any other walls, and were located about 300 feet apart.