The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Bramwell, West Virginia
A community in western Mercer County, incorporated in 1888, Bramwell, WV was named for J. Herbert Bramwell, superintendent and mining engineer of the Flat Top Coal Company. Col. John D. Hewitt, a prominent coal operator in the Flat Top Coal Field served as the town's first mayor. The community was renown as the home of many millionaires in the early 1900s. The Bramwell Historic District protects several such mansions on a bend in the Bluestone River.
Bramwell was first laid out in 1884, following the opening of the Flat Top Coalfield which occurred with arrival of the Norfork & Western Railway (N&W). Antipating the arrival of the railroad, several mining operations in the area were ready for production when the N&W completed its rail line to Bramwell on Nov. 10, 1884. The Beury-Cooper mines made their first shipment of coal that same day.
The corporation of Bramwell extended for nearly three miles and included Coopers, a post office and junction on the N&W Railway, and Freemans, a post office and shipping point. By early 1885, the newly created town of Bramwell had 25 dwellings, two stores, and two boarding houses, with about 500 workers employed by nearby mines. The W.Va. Geological Survey (1916) listed the town's population as 3,207 (1910) and indicated Bramwell had 5 churches, a graded public school, a bank, 5 stores, 4 restaurants, and a hotel.
The Coal Heritage Interpretive Center is located in the reconstructed Bramwell Train Depot, which houses a museum with coal mining memorabilia and interpretive displays. A brochure on the self guided walking tour of historic Bramwell can be obtained at the depot.
Elevation: 2,253 feet
Weather: Bramwell, WV
Lodging: Bramwell, WV, Hotels
Map of Bramwell and Vicinity
View a larger version of this map (best viewed full-screen) with links to driving directions and additional mapping options.
The Coal Heritage Interpretive Center and Bramwell Train Depot is shown on the map as Marker "A".