The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Bridge Junction (South Side)
Bridge Junction was the name given a junction point of a branch line with mainline tracks at Mile Post 398.8, just west (downstream) of Sewell. In 1891, the Greenbrier and New River Railroad (G&NR) began construction of an extension of a branch line railroad along the south side of New River. In 1894, the branch was completed from Rush Run to Butchers Branch (near Kaymoor). The railroad began construction of an additional extension to the branch line from Butchers Branch to MacDougal in 1899. By merger, the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) acquired the G&NR and its tracks along the south side in 1901.
The completion of a railroad bridge across the New River in 1907 connecting the mainline tracks with those on the south side allowed the C&O to utilize the former G&NR tracks between Sewell and MacDougal as a second set of mainline tracks through the lower section of the New River Gorge.
Rafter's Reference: The ruins of Bridge Junction, if any, are located on river-left near the abutments of the railroad bridge, just downstream of Upper Railroad Rapids.