The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Bull Falls Camping Area
The camping area takes its name from Bull Falls, once a significant cascade on New River that was drowned when Bluestone Lake was dammed in 1949. The campground is located below the mouth of Tom's Run near the former site of Farley's Fort, which was established around 1775 by pioneer Thomas Farley for defense against attack by Native Americans. An important Native American trail that linked the valleys of the upper New River, to the south, and the Kanawha River to the north, descended the run from Indian Ridge, near Pipestem, WV, forded the river upstream on the southern reach of Crump's Bottom, and ascended Indian Creek on its southerly route.
Farley's son or nephew, Drewry Farley, settled at the summit of the hill above the campground, at Old Farley, around 1800, according to historian William Sanders, author of the four-volume "A New River Heritage" (McLain, 1991-1994). A settlement above the campground at the mouth of the run, known as Warford, WV, was abandoned during the construction of Bluestone Lake. A ford across the river near the campground and above Bull Falls was infamously forded by troops misdirected during the Civil War.