WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Clay, West Virginia

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

County seat of Clay County, incorporated in 1895, named derived from Clay County, which was named for Henry Clay. Formerly known as Henry and as Clay Court House. Clay is located along the Elk River at the mouth of Buffalo Creek on the former main line of the Coal & Coke Railroad. The region's first settler was an Irishman named McCalgin. Clay was first named "Marshall" after Supreme Court Justice John Marshall, and changed in 1863 to Henry. The town was incorporated as the Town of Henry, by the Circuit Court of Clay County in 1895, although its post-office name was Clay. The first passenger train over the Charleston, Clendenin & Sutton Railroad, later the Coal & Coke Railway, was run between Charleston, WV and Clay on December 10, 1895.


Weather: Clay, WV

Lodging: Clay, WV hotels


   

180px-Clay-WV-Map.gif Map of Clay, WV showing streets and highways, and nearby airports, parks, hospitals, buildings, churches, cemeteries, trails and other points of interest; with link to driving directions.