The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Derryhale, West Virginia
Derryhale was developed as a company owned mining town by the McKell Coal & Coke Company in the early 1900s. The mine opened in 1900 and shipped coal via the Kanawha, Glen Jean & Eastern Railway (KGJ&E), a short-line railroad owned by the mining company. The Derryhale coal camp was located along Dunloup Creek in Fayette County.
The siding built from a connection with Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) at Macdonald to the Derryhale mine was the first segment of the KGJ&E built. A dispute between the KGJ&E and the C&O is claimed to have lead to the KGJ&E resorting to using oxen to pull the coal cars from its Tamroy mine to Macdonald, because at the time the KGJ&E didn't yet own any locomotives. The KGJ&E soon managed to arrange a lease of a small locomotive and the use of oxen was curtailed.
An electric plant was installed at the Derryhale plant during the year ending June 30, 1905.
Map of Derryhale and Vicinity
View a larger version of this map