The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Edmond, West Virginia
Edmond (map) is a community in Fayette County first settled in the late-1700s or early-1800s, which began to develop as a town during the 1880s. A post office named Edmond was established in 1889, named in honor of Eddie Ryan, son of J. L. Ryan, the first postmaster. Early settlers in the area included the McVeys, Vineys, Rogers, Smailes, and the Cavendish family, many of whom derived title to their lands from patents issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Edmond, located on the rim of the New River Gorge, came to be closely associated with the mining operations at Nuttallburg during the late-1800s and early-1900s. During this era, many of the citizens of Edmond were employed by the nearby mining operations. However, the town was not a "company town" owned by a mining company. The homes and property of Edmond were owned by the residents. By the late-1800s, farming was the primary industry of the Edmond vicinity, with many farmers beginning to operate truck farms after the railroad line was built through the New River Gorge in 1873. At least two churches were established in Edmond; a Baptist and a Methodist Episcopal church. The first school at Edmond was a log building known as Chestnut School House.
The town was located along the early road built between Fayette Station and Lookout (via Lansing.) The section of the road in the vicinity of Edmond was known as Old Chestnutburg Road, so named for a giant chestnut tree that once stood along the path of the road. Tradition states an old Indian trail passed through Edmond and vicinity which connected with the Midland Trail near Spy Rock, evidence of which was said to still exist as late as the 1920s. Europeans began use of the old Indian trail during the 1700s, while making their way westward from the valleys of Virginia. The area was generally unsafe for occupation by white settlers until about 1830. A skirmish between Native Americans and settlers under Col. Morris took place nearby, in the vicinity of Lookout, during the late 1700s.