WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Eleanor, West Virginia

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
"Red House," c. 1840, serves as city hall at Eleanor, WV

Eleanor, WV, is a community in central Putnam County on the lower Kanawha River. The town was named for Eleanor Roosevelt, who established the town as a New Deal Homestead Community. The town was formerly known as Red House Farms and was part of the community of Red House, WV, located just upstream. Many of the residences in Eleanor date from the New Deal period and were built as part of the project. Welcome signs advertising Eleanor as the "Cleanest Town in West Virginia" stand along W.Va. Route (WV-62) at the northern and southern entrances to the town. Many local homes and buildings associated with the New Deal era are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Population: 1,345

Elevation: 574 feet


Weather: Eleanor, WV

Lodging: Eleanor, WV hotels