The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
High Gate - Fairmont, WV
The High Gate carriage house was built ca. 1910-1913 by Fairmont, WV Industrialist and financier, James E. Watson, scion of the "father of the West Virginia coal industry," James O. Watson. Designed by Philadelphia architect Horace Trumbauer, the stable and the adjacent mansion remain fine example of Tudor revival architecture with half-timbering, stucco wall cladding and clay-tiled-roofs -- an academic style based upon late Medieval English prototypes that was common among suburban domestic architecture in the United States in the early-20th-Century.
Historic Preservation and Restoration
In 2002, the Vandalia Heritage Foundation partnered with Friends of High Gate, to ensure continued preservation and restoration of the Carriage House and Gardens. Vandalia Heritage Foundation will enhance use of the Carriage House and Gardens and facilitate restoration of the second floor of the building, to be utilized for office space. Upon completion of the second-floor restoration, Vandalia will truly be able to "Keep the Gates Open," preserving a significant National Historic Landmark in West Virginia's history, and an important moment in the local history of Fairmont, WV.
Scale drawings of High Gate are available from the Habbs/Haer website.
See also: Color Photo of High Gate
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||06:03, 28 November 2005||600 × 189 (31 KB)||Gibsonian||High Gate Carriage House|
- You cannot overwrite this file.