The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Located in present-day Charleston, WV, in Kanawha County, Fort Lee was erected in April 1788 by a company of Virginia Rangers under Colonel George Clendenin, and was originally called Clendenin's Fort. Its located was at the present-day corner of Brooks Street and the Kanawha Boulevard. The fortification served as a western frontier outpost along the Kanawha River and provided a place for white settlers to seek protection against Indian raids. The fort was named for General Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee, one of Washington's most trusted officers, who later become governor of Virginia. In 1791, Anne Bailey made a daring horseback ride to Lewisburg, WV, to obtain ammunition for settlers under attack at Fort Lee.
See also: The Founding of Charleston