The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Harrisville, West Virginia
The county seat of Ritchie County, Harrisville, WV, was established in 1822 on the lands of Thomas Harris, but the town was not chartered until Feb. 26, 1869. The town is located along the North Fork Hughes River. The town's name changed to Harrisville in 1830, in honor of Thomas Harris. A post office was established in 1825 under the name of Solus, later changed to Ritchie Court House, and then changed again to Harrisville. The first train over the Pennsboro & Harrisville Railroad entered the town on Thanksgiving Day, 1875.
Today Harrisville is located in a popular tourist destination area in Northern West Virginia.
Map of Harrisville, WV showing streets and highways, and nearby airports, parks, hospitals, buildings, churches, cemeteries, trails and other points of interest; with link to driving directions.
Topo map of Harrisville, WV, and vicinity
Population: 1,842 (2000 Census)
Elevation: 873 feet
Variant Names for Harrisville, WV
Ritchie Court House, Solus