The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Harvey, West Virginia
Harvey was developed as a company owned mining town during the 1890s by the Harvey Coal & Coke Company. The first shipment of coal from the Harvey operation occurred in the year ending June 30, 1895. A 2,500 foot tramway connected the mining opening with the tipple, over which a locomotive was used to haul the coal. During the year ending June 30, 1895, 100 beehive coke ovens were under construction at the Harvey coal plant. By 1900 all 100 ovens were in use. A post office name "Bissell" was established in the Harvey area by 1895.
By 1901, the Harvey coal plant had two mines in operation, known as Harvey Nos. 1 & 2. During this period the mine openings were located about 1/2 mile from the company's tipple. To bring the coal to the tipple the company built a narrow-gauge rail line and used a small steam locomotive that hauled 20 to 40 loaded mine cars of coal per trip.
Map of Harvey and Vicinity
View a larger version of this map