The West Virginia. Cyclopedia

Jane Lew, West Virginia

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A community in Lewis County, Jane Lew, WV was laid out in 1835 by Lewis Maxwell, member of Congress from Virginia, 1827-1833. The town was not incorporated until May 27, 1907. Jane Lew is named in honor of Jane Lewis, mother of the founder of the town. The Clarksburg, Weston & Glenville Railroad completed a narrow gauge railroad line from Clarksburg to Jane Lew on August 9, 1879.

The book, A History of Lewis County, West Virginia, noted that Jane Lew experienced a rapid development following the Civil War, largely to the rich agricultural district around the community. The marble works were established at Jane Lew in 1872. In 1877 a census of the town showed two stores, two drug stores, a tannery, a saddler's shop, a wagon shop, a pottery, a tailor shop, a flouring mill, a school, and a church. Two early banks, the Peoples Bank and the Bank of Jane Lew, opened in 1903. In 1910 Jane Lew had a population of 327 but by 1920 the town's population had grown to 560. The Jane Lew Sandstone (in Pittsburgh Redbeds) was named for exposures found on Hackers Creek, just east of Jane Lew.

Jane Lew, WV

Jane Lew, WV is located about 1 mile from Interstate 79 (I-79) and is about 8 miles north of Weston, WV and 17 miles south of Bridgeport, WV and Clarksburg, WV.


North Central West Virginia Airport: Formerly known as the Harrison-Marion Regional Airport, located in Bridgeport


Jane Lew, WV hotels: Find nearby hotels and make online reservations


Jane Lew, WV: Current conditions, forecasts, weather alerts, and more

Population: 406

Elevation: 1007 feet


Map of Jane Lew and Vicinity

View a larger version of this map (best viewed full-screen) with links to driving directions and additional mapping options.


Watters Smith Memorial State Park: Located about 6 miles from Jane Lew

Stonewall Jackson Lake State Park: Located about 11 miles from Jane Lew


Lewis County Schools

The school district of Jane Lew was created by act of Legislature, Feb. 25, 1882. You can read the bill in its entirety via Google Books.


Louis Bennett Public Library