The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Keeneys Creek, West Virginia
Keeneys Creek was located on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) at the junction with the Keeneys Creek Subdivision, a branch line of about seven miles.
In 1891, the railroad made arrangements with John Nuttall, allowing him to build a railroad from Nuttall Station (Nuttallburg), on the C&O mainline, into a 25,000 acres tract of coal lands in the plateau above and east of the New River Gorge. Under this agreement, the railroad would assume control and operation of the rail line following its completion. Five miles of the railroad were completed in 1893, and in 1904 the branch was extended to Lookout. Several mining operations on the short branch line were located near Winona.
The W.Va. Division of Highways has established a scenic route, partly paved and partly graveled, from CR-82 at Winona, to the base of the former Nuttallburg mining operation on New River. Descending into the New River Gorge along scenic Keeney Creek, the road travels through one of the most dense canyon forests that can be accessed easily by automobile, passing beautiful cascades along the way. The road also affords access to the town site for hikers. A trail through the former town site turns left off CR-82 where the route begins to parallel the New River.
Rafter's Reference: the ruins of the community of Keeneys Creek are located on river-right, just downstream of the mouth of Keeneys Creek, below Upper Keeneys Rapids.