The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
The Little Meadows is a region of approximately six square miles of relatively level land located around the head of the Meadow Creek in southeastern Fayette County and adjacent northeastern Summers County. According to historian James H. Miller, author of "History of Summers County, West Virginia" (1908), the Little Meadows were known as an "area of flat land mostly and great grass-producing country." Their relatively level character may be attributed to the resistance of the Princeton Sandstone, the thick layer of rock that outcrops throughout in cliffs the area, and is named for its outcrop nearly 17 air-miles SE at Princeton, WV. Much of the upper area is marshy. A low natural-bridge of was reported in early histories as spanning a tributary of Meadow Creek near Lockbridge, just south of Meadow Bridge. The Little Meadows are a counterpart to the Big Meadows of the upper Meadow River in Greenbrier County.
Among the largest incorporated communities in Fayette County, Meadow Bridge, WV, is located in the upper meadows.