The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Mason and Dixon Line
From 1763 until 1767, the boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland was surveyed by English astronomers Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon and extended in 1779 to the Ohio River. Before the Civil War, it was popularly designated as the boundary between the slave states and the free states, and it is still used on occasion to distinguish the South from the North.
When the surveyors reached a hilltop 36-miles east of the end point of the boundary, their Indian guides warned them to travel no farther into hostile territory. The point of their halt is marked by a stone and is the site of Mason & Dixon Park NW of Morgantown, WV, on WV Route 7 near Blacksville, West Virginia. For more information, write Mason-Dixon Park, 61 Buckeye Road, Core, WV 26529