The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Mullens, West Virginia
A community in Wyoming County, Mullens, WV, was incorporated as a town in 1912 and as a city in 1929. Located on the Guyandotte River, the town was named for A. J. Mullins, who owned the land upon which the town was built, the corporated name being spelled "Mullens" through inadvertence. The town developed rapidly during the early-1900s due to the location of the terminal and shops complex of the Virginian Railway (VGN) in the town. By the 1920s, Mullens had one bank, a weekly newspaper, a theater, one hospital, five churches, one high school, two elementary schools, three miles of paved streets, and a population of about 5,000.
Mullens was the junction point on the Virginian for the Winding Gulf branch line, a 23 mile long branch built along Guyandot and Winding Gulf into the Winding Gulf Coal Field. Vast amount of coal moved off the branch in additon to large shipments of lumber from Maben and Herndon.
Mullens, WV, Hotels: Book online reservations
Map of Mullens and Vicinity
View a larger version of this map
Map of Mullens, WV showing streets and highways, and nearby airports, parks, hospitals, buildings, churches, cemeteries, trails and other points of interest; with link to driving directions.
1925 USGS map of Mullens
Topo map of Mullens, WV and vicinty
Elevation: 1426 feet
Electric locomotive shops of the Virginia Railway in Mullens, WV
Variant Name(s) for Mullens, WV