The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Pence Springs, West Virginia
After the completion of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway through the region in the 1870s, the railroad company established a depot and stockyards south of the river. Judge James H. Miller in his "History of Summers County, West Virginia," described "large and commodius cattle pens and stockyards" and wrote that the station at that point was known as "Stockyards." In about 1902, the C&O moved the stockyards farther along the railroad to the mouth of the Greenbrier River at Avis, now part of Hinton, WV.
The Pence Springs area is a popular recreation and vacation area. W.Va. Route 3 (WV-3) follows the river through Pence Springs. For many years an outdoor flea market at Pence Springs has attracted customers and sightseers. The Alderson-Hinton Airfield is located just outside Pence Springs.