WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Philippi, West Virginia

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The county seat of Barbour County, Philippi, WV, was originally chartered in 1844 and named for Phillip Pendleton Barbour, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States 1836-1841. The first land battle of the Civil War, the Battle of Philippi, was fought at Philippi on June 3, 1861. During that engagement Federal troops commanded by General B. F. Kelley, surprising and routing the Confederate forces under Colonel George A. Porterfield. The Philippi Covered Bridge is the oldest and longest covered bridge in West Virginia.


Weather:
Philippi, WV
Lodging:
Philippi, WV, Hotels



Philippi, WV

Philippi, WV, is located about: 13 miles northwest of Belington, WV; 15 miles south of Grafton, WV; 22 miles northwest of Buckhannon, WV; 26 miles southeast of Clarksburg, WV and Bridgeport, WV; and 30 miles west of Parsons, WV.

Attractions

Parks
Audra State Park
Tygart Lake State Park


Historic Sites & Districts
Philippi Covered Bridge
Philippi Historic District


Schools

Philippi, WV, is the location of Alderson Broaddus College (map), established in 1901, formed by merger of two schools established earlier in West Virginia -- Broaddus Female College at Clarksburg, and Alderson Academy, at Alderson, WV. The college overlooks downtown Philippi from a hill to the northwest.

Public Schools: Barbour County Schools


Elevation: 1307 feet
Population: 2,870 (2000 Census)
Longitude: -80.0406
Latitude: 39.1522


   

180px-Philippi-WV-Map.gif Map of Philippi, WV showing streets and highways, and nearby airports, parks, hospitals, buildings, churches, cemeteries, trails and more; with link to driving directions.


Topo map of Philippi, WV, and vicinity


Philippi, WV, as seen from president's office at Alderson Broaddus College

Variant Name(s) for Philippi, WV

Anglin's Ford, Anglins Ford, Booth's Ferry(1), Booths Ferry, Booths Ferry of Randolph, Phillippa, Phillippi

(1) In 1843 when Barbour County was formed from Randolph, and parts of Harrison and Lewis counties, the site for the courthouse promptly selected as Philippi, a location formerly known as Booth's Ferry, which had served as the courthouse of Randolph County, which was then only a farm.