WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


St. Albans, West Virginia

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
(Redirected from Saint Albans, West Virginia)
Jump to: navigation, search

A community in central Kanawha County, Saint Albans, WV (map), was laid out in 1816 along the Kanawha River near the location of Fort Tackett, c. 1786. The community was first know as Philippi, named after settler Philip Thompson, but was renamed Coalsmouth, as it developed at the mouth of Coal River. Incorporated as "Kanawha City" in 1868, it name was changed to St. Albans in 1871, a name suggested by a Mr. Parsons, according the the WV Geological Survey, a member of the town council who intended to honor his hometown of St. Albans, Vermont.

St. Albans, WV

Location

St. Albans is located about: 12 miles west of Charleston, WV; 10 miles west of South Charleston, WV ; and 40 miles east of Huntington, WV.

Airports

Yeager Airport : Map showing location of Yeager Airport : Map of heliports and airports

Lodging

St. Albans, WV Hotels: Find nearby hotels and make online reservations

Weather

St. Albans, WV: Current conditions, forecasts, weather alerts, and more

   

Map of St. Albans and Vicinity

View a larger version of this map (best viewed full-screen) with links to driving directions and additional mapping options.


Attractions

Tri-State Racetrack & Gaming Center - Casino, greyhound racing, and gaming

Government

City of St. Albans

Schools

Kanawha County Schools

Libraries

Kanawha County Public Library

Yeager Monument on Kanawha River
     

Maps

180px-Saint-Albans-WV-Map.gif
Map of Saint Albans, WV showing streets, airports, parks, buildings, churches, cemeteries, trails and other points of interest, with link to driving directions.


Topo map of St. Albans, WV and vicinty


Census Data

Population: 11,567 (2000 Census)

Geodata

Elevation: 590 feet
Longitude: -81.8364
Latitude: 38.3856

Development of St. Albans, WV

In 1871, at present-day St. Albans, the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O), constructed a saw mill to cut lumber for the building of its railroad line through West Virginia. This in turn attracted additional mills and factories to the location, turning St. Albans a prosperous "lumber town." Several large timber companies soon located up Coal River, rafting logs downstream to the mills at St. Albans.

The growth of St. Albans was retarded for some time by the policy of the Central Land Company which, although it held lands at St. Albans, devoted all its attention to the development of Huntington. Later the preparation for a greater city was made by Grant Hall, who, after purchasing the lands of the Central Land Company, graded the streets and laid cement walks.

In 1900 contracts were made for the construction of the Kanawha, Pocahontas, and Coal River Railway along Coal River. The charter, granted in 1896, provided for a route via the junction of Marsh and Clear forks, thence via Marsh Fork to the Norfolk and Western Railroad (N&W) in Mercer County. The road was constructed from St. Albans through Boone, and into Lincoln County, in 1905-07.

Variant Name(s)

Coals Mouth, Coalsmouth, Cole's Mouth, Kanawha City, Philippi, St. Albans