The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Saint Colman Roman Catholic Church
In 1876, Maurice Sullivan, founder of the Irish Mountain community, deeded an acre for a church and cemetery on the summit of Sullivan Knob. Within two years a sturdy chapel of hewn logs was raised on its consecrated ground. In 1904, Father J.J. Swint -- a carpenter who later became the Bishop of Wheeling -- fashioned its existing altar and some of its benches. In 1928, the church was clapboarded and painted white -- the condition in which it stands today. The cemetery behind the church is filled with neat rows of tombstones, many of which attend the last resting places of souls born on the Emerald Isle. The cemetery also contains a "Lost Corner," according to Pauley -- an area of unconsecrated ground containing graves of infants and others who died without baptism.
The route to the church was long in poor condition but is now a well-maintained gravel road. To reach Saint Colman's from Interstate 64 at Bragg (exit 133), follow Pluto Road (CR 27) south approximately one half-mile to the junction of Irish Mountain Road (CR 26), on the left; follow Irish Mountain Road, a gravel road, approximately two miles, through Dillon, WV, to the church, located on the left. The road continues down the flank of the New River Gorge to Sandstone Falls.