WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Salem, West Virginia

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Salem University's old main building in Salem, WV

A community in Harrison County, Salem, WV, was originally known as New Salem, so named because of the settlers who settled here came in a group from Salem, New Jersey. They arrived in the spring of 1792. Two years later, in 1794, the community was incorporated. The first habitation by white settlers on the land now occupied by Salem was a hunter's camp established by Nicholas Carpenter in 1785, who used it for a hunting and trapping center. He also used it for a sort of crude hotel for himself and his men who drove cattle from Clarksburg to the Ohio River at Marietta, OH, which was the nearest market.


Samuel Fitz Randolph purchased the property on which the village was founded in 1790. Mr. Randolph has started with a caravan of pioneer settlers from Salem, NJ, who crossed the mountains in 1789 and made their first stop at Woodbridgetown, PA. Mr. Randolph, a number of Davises, some Maxsons, and others came on to what is now Salem, after a year and one-half trek from the sea coast. Salem was the first settlement of the Seventh Day Baptists west of the Alleghenies. Salem College, founded in 1888, became Salem-Teikyo University in 1989, under a partnership between Salem College and Teikyo University of Japan. It became Salem International University in 2002. The Industrial Home for Girls was established in the town in 1898. Salems was the birthplace of Congressman Jennings Randolph, and the writer, Granville Davison.


Population: 2006

Elevation: 1052 feet


Weather: Salem, WV

Lodging: Salem, WV Hotels


Schools: Harrison County Schools
Libraries: Clarksburg-Harrison Public Library