Old Brick Farm at Lowell, WV
On the Greenbrier River
at Lowell, WV
, in eastern Summers County
, the Samuel Gwinn Plantation, also known as the "Old Brick Farm," was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 as a result its historical association with the settlement of the region and the development of its agricultural industry. The large brick manor house that dominates the plantation was built by local master builder and brick mason Silas F. Taylor in the Greek Revival style, though first- and second-story Victorian piazzas were later added, significantly altering its appearance. The home was commissioned in 1868 by "Long Andy" Gwinn, owner of the county's largest tobacco plantation and its wealthiest resident, according to the register nomination
The plantation was established nearly a century before by Samuel Gwinn Sr., who shares with neighbor James Graham recognition as the first permanent inhabitants of Summers County of European descent. Gwinn and Graham both settled in 1770. Graham's log cabin, now a museum, stands across the river and is also listed on the national register. Gwinn's original log home, which stood some 300 yards south of the manor house, was dismantled by the Gwinn family in the 1960s, and its hewn timbers were used in construction of the Savannah Inn lodging complex in nearby Lewisburg, WV.