The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
South Side Junction
South Side was not an incorporated town nor was it a "company town." However there were few if any of the people who lived in the New River Gorge during the 1890-1930 period who didn't know where "South Side" was located. South Side was "fixed marker", e.g., a landmark, widely used during period, and still used today by historians as a reference point.
The only official designation given to this location was "South Side Junction", the identification used by the C&O Railway to denote the point of the junction of its South Side Branch with the Loup Creek Branch, located opposite New River from Thurmond.