WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Summerlee, West Virginia

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
1908 map showing the mining towns of Stuart (Lochgelly) and Parral (Summerlee)

Summerlee, formerly known as Parral, was developed as a company owned mining town in about 1906 by the Stuart Colliery Company. Another mine was located on the property called the Beech Creek mine. Beech Creek was a drift opening that mined the No. 1 Gas Coal (Eagle) seam of 3' 8" to 4' in thickness. Parral was a shaft mine that worked the Sewell seam of about 4' to 4' 8" in thickness. The shipment of coal from the Parral and Beech Creek mines began during the year ending June 30, 1905.

Parral Mine Explosion

On February 8, 1906 an explosion at the Parral mine took the lives of 23 workers. Details of the explosion can be found in our article about the Parral Mine Explosion.

Photos

parral1_500.thumb.jpg

Tipple and power house of the Parral mining operation, ca. 1906

summerlee1_450.thumb.jpg

Tipple and hoist house of the Summerlee mining operation, while the mine was being operated by the New River Company, ca. 1950s

   

Map of Summerlee and Vicinity

View a larger version of this map