WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Tamroy (historical), West Virginia

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
1911 map showing the towns of Price Hill, Oswald, and Tamroy
Graham fan house
Map showing location of central power station, fans, and sub-stations

Tamroy was developed as a company owned mining town during the early 1900s by the McKell Coal & Coke Company. The mines were opened in 1907. Coal was shipped from the mine via the the Kanawha, Glen Jean & Eastern Railway (KGJ&E), a short-line railroad owned by the mining company. The Tamroy coal camp was located along Dunloup Creek in the extreme northern part of Raleigh County.

Another mine was located in the immediate vicinity of the Tamroy operation that was called Graham, which was also a McKell operation. The 1915 map below shows the relative positions of the Graham and Tamroy mines. The Tamroy mining operation obtained its electrical power from the McKell Coal & Coke Company's power generating plant at Kilsyth, WV.

West Virginia mining records show the Tamroy mine produced tonnage through 1940, the year the McKell Coal & Coke Company's mining interests were sold to the New River Company.

1915 Map of Mines

Map showing the location of mines in the White Oak and Loup Creek coal fields. Map White Oak and Loup Creek Coal Field circa 1915.png

   

Map of Tamroy and Vicinity

View a larger version of this map

Tamroy Tipple

Photo showing the steel tipple, slack tank, conveyor, and headhouse of the McKell Coal & Coke Company's Tamroy mine, ca. 1919.

Tipple of the Tamroy mines, ca. 1919


Elevation Drawings of the Tamroy Tipple

Elevation drawings of the Tamroy Tipple