The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Terry, West Virginia
Terry developed as a coal mining town during the early-1900s. The town may have been so named in honor of R. S. Terry, president of the first mining company located in the town. The mining operation at Terry was located along the C&O Railway's Terry Sub-Division which ran between Terry Junction and Terry. The mine's first year of production was 1904. Mines operated at Terry during the 1900s included the Terry Nos. 1, 2, 3, & 4 mines. Circa 1910, coal from the Nos. 1, 2, & 4 mines was conveyed to the tipple, located at the bottom of the gorge, by monitors down an incline 1600 feet long. The mines at Terry were drift mines, operating in the Fire Creek coal seam.
State mining records indicate the Terry colliery was operated by Stonewall Coal & Coke Co. between 1904-1917; Cook & Carter Coal Co from 1918-1925; The Terry Coal Co. Inc. from 1925-1928; and C. A. Brockman Inc. during 1933-1935. A 1906 C&O publication list the Terry mine as being operated by the Stonewall Coal & Coke Company, a post office address at McCreery.
The Stonewall Coal & Coke Company's corporate charter was Issued December 4, 1900. Original incorporators included G. Bruniug, G. P. Wntklus, R. S. Terry, F. T. Lee, and the Carroll brothers. A 1906 publication of the C&O Railway listed the officers of the Stonewall Coal & Coke Company as follows: R. S. Terry, President, Allen W. Talley, Secretary and Treasurer, and W. Gaston Caperton, General Manager.
Circa 1918, the officers of the Cook & Carter Coal Company were: B. E. Carter, President; Harvey Cook, Secretary and Treasurer; and Frank M. Cook, General Manager. Mr. Carter was also President of the Raleigh County Bank at Beckley. WV.
A circa 1909 report indicated that the tipple of the Terry mine was equipped with bar screens with 2-inch spaces and was capable of loading lump, screenings, and run-of-mine coal. The tipple and had a storage-bin capacity of 100 tons. The coal was cleaned by two pickers as it was loaded on the railroad cars. The daily output of the mines at the time was 350 Ions, derived largely from pillars. The coal at the Terry mine varied considerably in thickness, ranging from 2 to 5 feet.
Rafter's Reference: Terry is located on river-left below McCreery Rapids.