The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
The Founding of Parkersburg
The land on which Parkersburg,WV is located was entered by Robert Thornton, of Pennsylvania, in 1773. Ten years later the land was confirmed to him by the Virginia commissioner of lands. In December, 1783, James Neal surveyed this land for Alexander Parker, of Green County, Pennsylvania, assignee of robert Thornton, and on July 3, 1787, patents were isssued by the state.
Parker died about 1800. John Stokeley, in the meantime, claimed the land and had a patent issued to him dated December 8, 1800. When the county seat was located at "The Point" (Point Pleasant) the settlement was composed of half a dozen log cabins. Stokely, then in possission, called the town Newport. It was so known until 1809, when the heirs of Alexander Parker recovered the land. On December 11, 1810, the town was laid out and called Parkersburg.