The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Tunnelton, West Virginia
A community in Preston County, incorporated in 1907. So named because of its location at the eastern end of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) tunnel at the point, then the longest tunnel in the world. Tunnelton was formerly known as Cassady's Summit.
Tunnelton was built on land acquired by Hon. Jame C. McGrew who, perceiving the advantageous position, built the first house and the first store which furnished the nucleus for the future town. It wsa largely supported at first by timber and lumber industry, to which was added a large tannery in 1858. Later Mr. McGrew, after opening mines and constructing tramways and other structures, began to mine and ship coal to supply the increasing demand in eastern cites; but he was forced to abandon his enterprises by a discirmination in freight rates in favor of other mines farther west in which the railroad officials were interested. The first post office immediately followed the opening of the railroad.
Weather: Tunnelton, WV
Lodging: Tunnelton, WV hotels