The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
West Union, West Virginia
The county seat of Doddridge County, West Union, WV was incorporated in 1881. The town was known as Lewisport or Union until the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad established a station there in 1857. The name West Union was suggested by Nathan Davis, who owned the land upon which the town is now located. The town was established just across Middle Island Creek from Lewisport, which had some half dozen residences at the time an effort was being made to change the name of that settlement to Union; hence the name "West Union."
Topo map of West Union, WV and vicinity
Population: 806 (2000 Census)
Elevation: 828 feet
Variant Names for West Union, WV