The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Charleston, West Virginia
The county seat of Kanawha County and the capital of West Virginia (1788-1793 and 1885-present), Charleston was orginally chartered in 1794 as Charles Town, so named for by town's founder, George Clendenin, for his father, Charles Clendenin. The community's name was changed to Charleston in 1818. The site of Fort Lee, an early frontier fort (1788-1796).