The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Clarksburg, West Virginia
Clarksburg, WV, (map) the county seat of Harrison County, was originally chartered in 1785 and named for George Rogers Clark, noted Virginia soldier of the Revolutionary War. Clarksburg was the birthplace of General Thomas J. ("Stonewall") Jackson, CSA.
Clarksburg lies along West Virginia's I-79 High Tech Corridor. The FBI Fingerprint Identification Center at Clarksburg employs imaging technology to manage fingerprint identification techniques.
Clarksburg, WV, Hotels: Find nearby hotels and make online reservations
Clarksburg, WV: Current conditions, forecasts, weather alerts, and more
Map of Clarksburg and Vicinity
View a larger version of this map (best viewed full-screen) with links to driving directions and additional mapping options.
Clarksburg City Hall (map)
WBLK, the first radio station in Clarksburg, went on the air in 1936.
WPDX (AM 750) : WXKX (AM 1340, Sports) : WOBG (AM 1400) : WKJL (FM 88.1, Religious) : WZWA (FM 90.1) : WGIE (FM 92.7, Country) : WPDX (FM 104.9) : WWLW (FM 106.5, Classic Rock)
Map of Clarksburg, WV showing streets and highways, and nearby airports, parks, hospitals, and other points of interest, with link to driving directions.
Topo map of Clarksburg, WV and vicinity
The Hazel-Atlas Glass Co. of Clarksburg, WV, circa 1929
Population: 16,743 (2000 Census)
Elevation: 1011 feet
Settlement of Clarksburg
In about 1764, John Simpson, a trapper from the South Branch of the Potomac, passed over the mountains and crossed Tygart River at the mouth of Pleasant Creek, in present-day Taylor County, and then journeyed over to another stream, to which he gave the name of Simpson's Creek. Farther on he came upon another stream, a tributary to the West Fork of the Monongahela, on which be bestowed the name of Elk Creek, and at the mouth of which he built a cabin and here he continued to reside, until permanent settlements began to be made around him. Simpson's cabin was the first home built by a white settler on the present site of Clarksburg, WV.
Development of Clarksburg
In 1852, construction of a branch of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad connecting the B&O line in Grafton to Parkersburg via Clarksburg was begun. The route was finished in July, 1857. By the 1870's Clarksburg was a triving community, with a population of about 1,600 residents, with a foundry, machine shop, sawmill factory, and a woolen manufacturing company located in the town.
During the early decades of the 20th Century, the Monongahela Valley Traction Company operated the largest network of electric railroad interurban lines in West Virginia from a central point in Clarksburg, with lines extending to Fairmont, Weston, and Mannington.
By the 1920's, Clarksburg had become a major manufacturing center. Products manufactured by firms located in Clarksburg included: window glass, fruit jars, various types of bottles, dinnerware, sanitary pottery, tin plate, glass molds, carbon electrodes and plates, toy marbles, tin cans, caskets, wooden boxes, macaroni, brick, tile, natural gas, coal, oil and machinery.
Variant Name(s) for Clarksburg, WV
Clarkes Town, Clarkesburg, Clarkesburgh