WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Difference between revisions of "Fire Creek (historical)"

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 2: Line 2:
 
Incorporated in 1877.  Post office and Presbyterian Church opened here at about the same time. The mining operation was financed by Coit interests, e.g. Samuel Coit.
 
Incorporated in 1877.  Post office and Presbyterian Church opened here at about the same time. The mining operation was financed by Coit interests, e.g. Samuel Coit.
  
Sixty coke ovens in operation by 1880; 98 by 1892. In 1906, the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Company mainttained a tipple, power plant, 96 coke ovens, a company store and homes for miners.
+
Known as the Echo mine. Sixty coke ovens in operation by 1880; 98 by 1892. In 1906, the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Company mainttained a tipple, power plant, 96 coke ovens, a company store and homes for miners.
 
+
  
 
Operated under the name New River Collieries Co. in about 1908-1910; Penna & New River C&C in 1920's.
 
Operated under the name New River Collieries Co. in about 1908-1910; Penna & New River C&C in 1920's.

Revision as of 16:07, 15 July 2007

Incorporated in 1877. Post office and Presbyterian Church opened here at about the same time. The mining operation was financed by Coit interests, e.g. Samuel Coit.

Known as the Echo mine. Sixty coke ovens in operation by 1880; 98 by 1892. In 1906, the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Company mainttained a tipple, power plant, 96 coke ovens, a company store and homes for miners.

Operated under the name New River Collieries Co. in about 1908-1910; Penna & New River C&C in 1920's.