WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Difference between revisions of "Fire Creek (historical)"

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[Category:Ghost Towns of the New River Gorge]]
 
[[Category:Ghost Towns of the New River Gorge]]
 +
[[Image:FireCreek-1901.jpg|thumb|1901 C&O track diagram showing Fire Creek]]
 
Fire Creek was incorporated in 1877, and a post office and Presbyterian Church were opened at about the same time. The Fire Creek Coal and Coke Company was incorporated the same year and was financed by Coit interests, e.g. Samuel Coit. Sixty coke ovens were operating at Fire Creek in 1880 and ninety-eight in 1892. In 1906, the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Company maintained a tipple, power plant, 96 coke ovens, a company store, and homes for miners. The mining operation at Fire Creek was registered under the name New River Collieries Co. in about 1908-1910 and Penna & New River Coal & Coke in the 1920s. Its 1910 population was an estimated 260 persons, according to the West Virginia Geological Survey.
 
Fire Creek was incorporated in 1877, and a post office and Presbyterian Church were opened at about the same time. The Fire Creek Coal and Coke Company was incorporated the same year and was financed by Coit interests, e.g. Samuel Coit. Sixty coke ovens were operating at Fire Creek in 1880 and ninety-eight in 1892. In 1906, the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Company maintained a tipple, power plant, 96 coke ovens, a company store, and homes for miners. The mining operation at Fire Creek was registered under the name New River Collieries Co. in about 1908-1910 and Penna & New River Coal & Coke in the 1920s. Its 1910 population was an estimated 260 persons, according to the West Virginia Geological Survey.
  
  
 
''Rafter's Reference:'' the ruins of the community of Fire Creek are located on river-right, around the mouth of Fire Creek. The ruins of the community of Red Ash are located on the opposite side of the river, just upstream of the broad river-left bottom.
 
''Rafter's Reference:'' the ruins of the community of Fire Creek are located on river-right, around the mouth of Fire Creek. The ruins of the community of Red Ash are located on the opposite side of the river, just upstream of the broad river-left bottom.

Revision as of 21:36, 17 July 2007

1901 C&O track diagram showing Fire Creek

Fire Creek was incorporated in 1877, and a post office and Presbyterian Church were opened at about the same time. The Fire Creek Coal and Coke Company was incorporated the same year and was financed by Coit interests, e.g. Samuel Coit. Sixty coke ovens were operating at Fire Creek in 1880 and ninety-eight in 1892. In 1906, the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Company maintained a tipple, power plant, 96 coke ovens, a company store, and homes for miners. The mining operation at Fire Creek was registered under the name New River Collieries Co. in about 1908-1910 and Penna & New River Coal & Coke in the 1920s. Its 1910 population was an estimated 260 persons, according to the West Virginia Geological Survey.


Rafter's Reference: the ruins of the community of Fire Creek are located on river-right, around the mouth of Fire Creek. The ruins of the community of Red Ash are located on the opposite side of the river, just upstream of the broad river-left bottom.