The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Fire Creek (historical)
Among the earliest of coal operations in the New River Gorge, the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Company was incorporated in 1877, being largely financed by the Coit interests of Hartford, CT. The incorporators were John Freeman, Thomas Davis, Jenkins Jones of Fire Creek, Fayette County; Joseph S. G. Coit and Samuel Coit of Hartford, CT. A post office and Presbyterian Church were established at Fire Creek soon after the mines were opened.
Sixty coke ovens were operating at Fire Creek in 1880, the number of ovens increasing to ninety-eight by 1892. In a 1906 C&O Railway publication the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Company is listed as operating one mine, a tipple, power plant, 96 coke ovens, a company store, and providing rental homes for miners. The 1910 population of Fire Creek was an estimated 260 persons, according to the West Virginia Geological Survey.
In 1923, the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Company was operating the Fire Creek mine, a drift opening in the Fire Creek coal bed with thickness of 3 ft. 4 inches. The company employed 62 workers, and had 70 coke ovens, 64 of which were in operation. Only pick mining was done, with one locomotive and four mules used to move the coal.
The C&O's 1890s-era wooden depot with cupola at Fire Creek survived until the late-1930s.
Rafter's Reference: the ruins of the community of Fire Creek are located on river-right, around the mouth of Fire Creek. The ruins of the community of Red Ash are located on the opposite side of the river, just upstream of the broad river-left bottom.