The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Fire Creek (historical)
Incorporated in 1877. Post office and Presbyterian Church opened here at about the same time. The mining operation was financed by Coit interests, e.g. Samuel Coit.
Sixty coke ovens in operation by 1880; 98 by 1892. In 1906, the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Company mainttained a tipple, power plant, 96 coke ovens, a company store and homes for miners.
Operated under the name New River Collieries Co. in about 1908-1910; Penna & New River C&C in 1920's.