WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Fire Creek (historical)

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Revision as of 16:10, 15 July 2007 by Gibsonian (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Incorporated in 1877. Post office and Presbyterian Church opened here at about the same time. The mining operation was financed by Coit interests, e.g. Samuel Coit.

Sixty coke ovens in operation by 1880; 98 by 1892. In 1906, the Fire Creek Coal & Coke Company mainttained a tipple, power plant, 96 coke ovens, a company store and homes for miners.

Operated under the name New River Collieries Co. in about 1908-1910; Penna & New River C&C in 1920's.


Two mines were in operation at Fire Creek; one called known as Echo, the other as Central.