The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Difference between revisions of "Glade, West Virginia"
|Line 28:||Line 28:|
Revision as of 17:17, 31 July 2015
Glade was located on the main line of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) opposite the mouth of Glade Creek. Glade was not a coal mining company town, but an settlement associated with lumber operations in Hamlet, the settlement across the New River in Raleigh County. Glade's population in 1910 was 77, according to the West Virginia Geological Survey.
The 1913 USGS map shows the Krise post office as being located at Glade. The exact date the Krise post office was established is unknown, but it was not included on a 1917 list of post offices in West Virginia. However, a post office named "Hamlet" (the settlement located across the New River in Raleigh County) was included on the 1917 list, though its location was shown as Fayette County. Was this a clerical error, or was the actual physical location of the Hamlet P.O. at Glade?
Seven piers in the New River near the mouth of Glade Creek are often mistaken as remnants of a bridge used by a narrow gauge railroad of the late 1800s, the Glade Creek & Raleigh Railroad. The piers were actually part of a standard-gauge railroad line operated by the Glade Creek Coal & Lumber Company from 1924 until 1929. That year, the Glade Creek Coal and Lumber Company sold its holding to the Babcock Coal & Timber Company, which continued operation of the line until about 1936. Completed in early 1923 by the American Bridge Company, the 750-foot railroad bridge was said to be "the longest of all those crossing New River" at that time.
When the Babcock company closed its operations during the Great Depression, most of the tracks were taken-up, and the rails were reclaimed. During World War II, the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) received permission from the U.S. government to salvage the steel girder sections of the bridge. The superstructure of the bridge was removed by the railroad and eventually used on various branch lines. A sawmill began operation in Hamlet in about 1921 and continued operation until Sept. 1, 1938. That same day, the post office at Hamlet was closed.
Rafter's Reference: The ruins of Glade, which include a cemetery, are located on river-right, upstream of Grassy Shoals Rapids. However, the piers that once carried a railway across the river are the most obvious remnants of the town.
Krise, Papaw, Paw Paw, Pawpaw