WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Difference between revisions of "Huntington, West Virginia"

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 63: Line 63:
  
 
<h2>Development of Huntington</h2>
 
<h2>Development of Huntington</h2>
 +
 +
The city of Huntington was planned by C. P. Huntington, who, after an irritating experience at Guyandotte, was firmly convinced that his mission was to locate a new town. Huntington was planned for orderly growth and development. It was also favored by its location at a natural gateway between different regions, its excellent shipping facilities, via the [[Ohio River]], and its vicinity to a territory rich in timber and mineral wealth.
  
 
The C&O line connecting Huntington to [[Charleston, West Virginia |Charleston]] was opened in 1871, and by 1872 the line was completed as far as Kanawha Falls, in Fayette County.  In 1873 the entire route between Richmond, VA and Huntington was completed. In 1880 Huntington achieved a direct rail connection with Lexington, KY via a C&O line completed from Huntington to a connection with the Elizabethtown, Lexington, and Big Sandy Railroad.
 
The C&O line connecting Huntington to [[Charleston, West Virginia |Charleston]] was opened in 1871, and by 1872 the line was completed as far as Kanawha Falls, in Fayette County.  In 1873 the entire route between Richmond, VA and Huntington was completed. In 1880 Huntington achieved a direct rail connection with Lexington, KY via a C&O line completed from Huntington to a connection with the Elizabethtown, Lexington, and Big Sandy Railroad.

Revision as of 22:52, 1 December 2005

Huntington,WV (map), the county seat of Cabell County, was originally called Halderby's Landing, for one of the pioneer families. Huntington was laid out as a town in 1869 by Collis P. Huntington, of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O), and named for him when incorporated in 1871.


Weather
Huntington, WV
Lodging
Huntington, WV Hotels


Nearby Attractions

Camden Park Mound


Airports

Tri-State Airport : Map of heliports and airports


Radio and Television (TV) Stations

WSAZ radio relocated from Pomeroy, OH to Huntington, WV in 1928, becoming the first radio station in Huntington and the second radio station in West Virginia. WSAZ-TV, the first television station in the state, went on the air in Huntington in 1949. WMUL-FM, the first FM educational radio station in the state, began broadcasting at Marshall University in 1961.


Schools

Huntington is home to Marshall University, originally organized in 1837 as Marshall Academy in honor of Chief Justice John Marshall. The academy was taken over as a state normal school in 1867 by the state. On November 14, 1970, the entire Marshall University football team and coaching staff were killed in a plane crash while attempting to land at Huntington's Tri-State Airport.

Cabell County Schools -- Wayne County Schools


Libraries

Cabell County Library -- Wayne County Library

     </td>
     <td valign="top">   </td>
     <td valign="top">

180px-Huntington_West_Virginia.gif
Map of Huntington, WV


Topo Map:
Huntington, WV

Tiger Map:
Huntington, WV


Elevation: 569 feet
Population: 51,475 (2000 Census)
Longitude: -82.4453
Latitude: 38.4192

     </td>
   </tr>
 </table>


Development of Huntington

The city of Huntington was planned by C. P. Huntington, who, after an irritating experience at Guyandotte, was firmly convinced that his mission was to locate a new town. Huntington was planned for orderly growth and development. It was also favored by its location at a natural gateway between different regions, its excellent shipping facilities, via the Ohio River, and its vicinity to a territory rich in timber and mineral wealth.

The C&O line connecting Huntington to Charleston was opened in 1871, and by 1872 the line was completed as far as Kanawha Falls, in Fayette County. In 1873 the entire route between Richmond, VA and Huntington was completed. In 1880 Huntington achieved a direct rail connection with Lexington, KY via a C&O line completed from Huntington to a connection with the Elizabethtown, Lexington, and Big Sandy Railroad.

From 1871 through 1900 Huntington grew at a rate of 400 annually, becoming an important rail and river shipping point for tobacco, dairy, produce, poultry and fruit. By the mid-1920's Huntington was the largest city in the state, with 140 miles of paved streets, 90 jobbers, brokers and wholesale firms, and 8 companies engaged in warehousing located in the city. During the same era, the city of Huntingon was served by three railroads: the main line of the C&O, the Ohio River Division of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O), and the Norfork & Western Railway (N&W) at Kenova, at point about four miles from Huntington. The Midland Trail and U. S. Routes 52 and 62 passed through the city, and a million-dollar concrete-floored highway bridge spanning the Ohio River linking it with the highway of Ohio. A city and interurban steet car system and bus lines supplemented the train service into the surrounding territory, including the nearby towns of Ohio and Kentucky.


Variant Name(s) for Huntington, WV

Guyandot, Guyandotte, Holderbys Landing, and Maple Grove