WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Difference between revisions of "Kanawha Coal Field"

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 4: Line 4:
 
The first commercial mining of coal in Kanawha field resulted from the demands of the salt making operations located at the [[Kanawha Saltines]]. In 1817, David Ruffner began was the first to use coal to evaporate salt, the coal apparently coming from a mine opened the same year, by John P. Turner, located at the mouth of Burning Spring Branch, seven miles east of present-day [[Charleston, West Virginia|Charleston, WV]], on the north side of the [[Kanawha River]].
 
The first commercial mining of coal in Kanawha field resulted from the demands of the salt making operations located at the [[Kanawha Saltines]]. In 1817, David Ruffner began was the first to use coal to evaporate salt, the coal apparently coming from a mine opened the same year, by John P. Turner, located at the mouth of Burning Spring Branch, seven miles east of present-day [[Charleston, West Virginia|Charleston, WV]], on the north side of the [[Kanawha River]].
  
Interest in the shipment of coal on the Kanawha via flatboats and steamboats, to markets in Cincinnati, began during the 1830's, following the incorporation  of the first commercial coal company in the Kanawha Valley in 1834. In 1836 Colonel Aaron Stock opened a coal bank near the site of present-day Cannelton, WV, soon afterwards shipped coal via the Kanawha to either Cincinnati or New Orleans. This is said to be the first shipment of coal via flatboat from the Kanawha Valley.
+
Interest in the shipment of coal on the [[Kanawha River|Kanawha]] via flatboats and steamboats, to markets in Cincinnati, began during the 1830's, following the incorporation  of the first commercial coal company in the Kanawha Valley in 1834. In 1836 Colonel Aaron Stock opened a coal bank near the site of present-day Cannelton, WV, soon afterwards shipped coal via the Kanawha to either Cincinnati or New Orleans. This is said to be the first shipment of coal via flatboat from the Kanawha Valley.
  
 
Following the completion of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) in 1873, numerous mining operation opened in the Kanawha field. The mines at Cannelton, located on the opposite side of the Kanawha from the rail line, began sending its coal across the river to the railroad by ferry. Within three years of the line's opening, eighteen mining operations had opened along the C&O's rail line on south side of the [[New River|New]] and Kanawha rivers.
 
Following the completion of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) in 1873, numerous mining operation opened in the Kanawha field. The mines at Cannelton, located on the opposite side of the Kanawha from the rail line, began sending its coal across the river to the railroad by ferry. Within three years of the line's opening, eighteen mining operations had opened along the C&O's rail line on south side of the [[New River|New]] and Kanawha rivers.

Revision as of 07:11, 21 August 2007

The Kanawha Coal Field is the name used to describe a coal producing section of West Virginia that includes the following counties, in whole or it part: Kanawha, Putnam, Mason, Clay, Boone, Lincoln, and Nicholas counties.

The first commercial mining of coal in Kanawha field resulted from the demands of the salt making operations located at the Kanawha Saltines. In 1817, David Ruffner began was the first to use coal to evaporate salt, the coal apparently coming from a mine opened the same year, by John P. Turner, located at the mouth of Burning Spring Branch, seven miles east of present-day Charleston, WV, on the north side of the Kanawha River.

Interest in the shipment of coal on the Kanawha via flatboats and steamboats, to markets in Cincinnati, began during the 1830's, following the incorporation of the first commercial coal company in the Kanawha Valley in 1834. In 1836 Colonel Aaron Stock opened a coal bank near the site of present-day Cannelton, WV, soon afterwards shipped coal via the Kanawha to either Cincinnati or New Orleans. This is said to be the first shipment of coal via flatboat from the Kanawha Valley.

Following the completion of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) in 1873, numerous mining operation opened in the Kanawha field. The mines at Cannelton, located on the opposite side of the Kanawha from the rail line, began sending its coal across the river to the railroad by ferry. Within three years of the line's opening, eighteen mining operations had opened along the C&O's rail line on south side of the New and Kanawha rivers.

In 1893, the Kanawha & Michigan Railroad (K&M) completed a line between Charleson and Gauley Bridge, WV, allowing development of additional mines along the north side of the Kanawha. From Charleston, the K&M line ran to Corning, OH, thus providing the Kanawha coal operators with access to the "western markets." In later years, the K&M built a five-mile branch line, the Smithers Creek Branch, from Cannelton and Smithers, WV, along Smithers Creek to Marting, WV. The K&M line later became part of the New York Central System.

By 1906, 261 coal mines were operating within a 60 mile radius of Charleston, WV, located in the Kanawha and New River coal fields.