The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Difference between revisions of "Parkersburg, West Virginia"
|Line 79:||Line 79:|
Revision as of 12:43, 1 June 2012
The county seat of Wood County, Parkersburg, WV was originally chartered in 1820, and named for Alexander Parker, whose daughter, after his death, donated the land for the site of the count house and county building in Wood County. Formerly known as Newport, the town's name was changed to Parkersburg in 1810. Parkersburg is an important center for lodging, industry, and commerce and is among the largest cities in West Virginia.
Founding of Parkersburg, WV
A brief outline of the events that lead to the founding of Parkersburg.
Development of Parkersburg, WV
The construction of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) line from Grafton to the Ohio River at Parkersburg was begun in Dec. 1852, being completed to Parkersburg May 1, 1857. The advent of the railroad facilited the industrial and economic growth of Parkersburg well into the Twentieth Century.
By 1870 there were seven oil refineries, producing 2500 barrels of oil per week, located in the Parkersburg area. In addition, there were large saw mills; planing mills; a sach, implement and wooden area factory; one steam barrel factory; several large cooper shops; three foundries; two machine shops and the large repair shops of the B&O Railroad; several cigar and tobacco factories; two potteries; one steamboat yard; and a gas factory.
Variant Name(s) for Parkersburg, WV
Neals Landing, Neals Station, Newport, Parkersburgh, Stokelyville, The Point