The county seat of Wood County, Parkersburg, WV was originally chartered in 1820, and named for Alexander Parker, whose daughter, after his death, donated the land for the site of the count house and county building in Wood County. Formerly known as Newport, the town's name was changed to Parkersburg in 1810.
Wood County Airport: Map of heliports and airports
WPAR radio, the first radio station in Parkersbug, began broadcasting in 1935.
WADC (AM 1050, Oldies) : WVNT (AM 1230, News/Talk) : WHNK (AM 1450, Country) : WVPG (FM 90.3, NPR) : WXIL (FM 95.1, Contemporary) : WGGE (FM 99.1, Country) : WHBR (FM 103.1, Alternative) :
Television (TV) Stations
WTAP-TV, the first television station in Parkersburg, went on the air in 1953.
WTAP (TV 15, NBC) : WTAP (DT 49, NBC)
Parkersburg - Wood County Public Library
Parkersburg Community College was the first comprehensive community college opened in the state, established in 1971.
Wood County Library
Map of Parkersburg, WV
Top map of Parkersburg, WV and vicinity
Elevation: 649 feet
Development of Parkersburg
The construction of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad line from Grafton to the Ohio River at Parkersburg was begun in Dec. 1852, being completed to Parkersburg May 1, 1857.
Variant Name(s) for Parkersburg, WV
Neals Landing, Neals Station, Newport, Parkersburgh, Stokelyville, The Point