WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Difference between revisions of "Prince, West Virginia"

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 20: Line 20:
  
 
<table width="80%"><tr><td>[[Image:Amtrak_at_Prince_Depot.jpg|thumb|Amtrak's Cardinal roars into Prince Depot]]</td><td>[[Image:Prince_Depot_3.jpg|thumb|Highway side of Prince Depot]]</td><td>[[Image:Prince_Depot_2.jpg|thumb|Railway side of Prince Depot]]</td></tr> <tr><td>[[Image:Prince_Depot_4.jpg|thumb|Autumn morning scene at Prince]]</td><td>[[Image:Prince_Depot_6.jpg|thumb|Coal mining mural in Prince Depot]]</td><td>[[Image:Prince_Depot_5.jpg|thumb|Backus Mountain looms in the distance]]</td></tr>
 
<table width="80%"><tr><td>[[Image:Amtrak_at_Prince_Depot.jpg|thumb|Amtrak's Cardinal roars into Prince Depot]]</td><td>[[Image:Prince_Depot_3.jpg|thumb|Highway side of Prince Depot]]</td><td>[[Image:Prince_Depot_2.jpg|thumb|Railway side of Prince Depot]]</td></tr> <tr><td>[[Image:Prince_Depot_4.jpg|thumb|Autumn morning scene at Prince]]</td><td>[[Image:Prince_Depot_6.jpg|thumb|Coal mining mural in Prince Depot]]</td><td>[[Image:Prince_Depot_5.jpg|thumb|Backus Mountain looms in the distance]]</td></tr>
<tr><td>[[Image:Prince WV 3D Model.png|thumb|Autumn morning scene at Prince]]</td><td></td><td></td>
+
<tr><td>[[Image:Prince WV 3D Model.png|thumb|3D model of Prince Depot]]</td><td></td><td></td>
 
</tr></table>
 
</tr></table>
  

Revision as of 15:46, 24 May 2016

Prince Depot
USGS 1913 map showing location of Prince
Chessie cat mosaic set in floor of Prince Depot
Highway bridge across New River was built in 1931 and operated as a toll bridge until 1946
South approach of the Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge near Prince

Located on highway WV-41 (formerly US-19), Prince, WV is on one of the few major automobile routes crossing the New River deep within the New River Gorge. As a result, the community is among the most populous of the inhabited communities in the New River Gorge. In 1910 its population was estimated at 235 and today is estimated at nearly 100. A relatively large number of vacation homes have been built along the New River near Prince.

The Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) first established a station at Prince in 1880, enlarging the structure in 1891. A fire destroyed the station in 1917 but it was replaced that same year. In 1946, the C&O opened a new brick station at Prince, said to have cost $200,000. The community was established by William Prince, who in 1870 purchased, with his brother James, 300 acres thereat from Alfred Beckley at $3,000. They built a home near the present-day junction of the Piney Creek railroad branch line with the mainline and established a mercantile business during the construction of the C&O rail line and Stretcher's Neck Tunnel.

Just prior the turn of the 20th century, William Prince becoming involved in the coal business, as a part-owner of the mine on the opposite banks of New River at Royal. In the 1890s, the Royal mining operation built a tipple and a battery of 78 coke ovens at Prince, just downstream of the Prince Depot. Coal was transported from the mine (on the south side) across the New River to the tipple (on the north side) utilizing buckets suspended on a wire cable that spanned New River. Although some people of the 21st century seem to believe that Prince "was never a coal mining town" the historic record indicates otherwise.

Because the land of the town was owned by the Prince family (who preferred to rent property, rather than sell) the town never grew or expanded during the period of coal boom. The very few businesses located in the town were owned by the Prince family.

Prince was an important stop along the main line of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad, though nearby Quinnimont was the shipping outlet for freight passing off the many local branch lines. Quinnimont and Prince (to a lesser degree) benefited in part from their location nearly midway between the railroad's important branches on Piney Creek, which ascended into the highlands of central Raleigh County, and Laurel Creek, which ascended into the highlands of eastern Fayette County. The passenger station at Prince is an acclaimed example of the Art Modern style of Architecture as applied to railroad structures, and the Prince Station remains a regular Amtrak stop, providing service to Beckley and other nearby communities.

Parts of Prince have been protected by the National Park Service as part of the New River Gorge National River. Three park service camping areas are located near the Prince, and hiking, biking, kayaking, and float-fishing are popular outdoor sports that draw visitors to the area.


Amtrak's Cardinal roars into Prince Depot
Highway side of Prince Depot
Railway side of Prince Depot
Autumn morning scene at Prince
Coal mining mural in Prince Depot
Backus Mountain looms in the distance
3D model of Prince Depot


Rafter's Reference: Prince is located on an elevated bench of land at river-right, upstream of the C&O Railroad bridge over New River. As the community is located upstream of the primary New River Gorge whitewater rafting area, Prince is not generally visited by rafters.


Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge at Prince, WV
On February 16, 1871, the Piney River Turnpike Company was incorporated in West Virginia by William McCreery, Sr., Alfred Beckley, Sr., Edwin Prince, Lewis McDonald, and Garner Calloway. The company's purpose was to construct a road from Beckley (Raleigh Court House), Raleigh County, to the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad in the vicinity of Prince/Quinnimont. The road was to be built as a toll road.

The ca. 1879 map at left shows the apparent route of the Piney River Turnpike to a point across New River near the location of Quinnimont, West Virginia. According to travel notes written by Daniel M. Lloyd, a Mount Hope businessman who frequently traveled to the Quinnimont area during the late 1890s and early 1900s, a ferry operated as this point, that transported travelers across the river to and from Quininimont.

The following quote, from a 1879 article in Engineers and Engineering illustrates how isolated the area of Prince and Quinnimont were that prior to the building of the turnpike: "Some notion of the rugged character of the country may be gathered from the fact that when, about four years ago, the traffic along the railroad was interrupted by numerous landslides the settlement at Quinnimont Furnace, containing between two hundred and three hundred persons, was dependent for its supplies upon trains of pack mules, there being no wagon road over which goods could be hauled."


Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge at Prince, WV
The first highway bridge across New River at Prince was built in 1931 by the Prince Bridge Company, which was organized on August 8, 1928. The bridge, which came to be later known as the Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge, was operated as a tool bridge until August 8, 1946.

The Historic Bridges website has a collection of information on the Thomas Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge which includes drawings of the original bridge.