WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Difference between revisions of "Prudence, West Virginia"

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[Category:West Virginia Cities and Towns]] __NOTOC__
 
[[Category:West Virginia Cities and Towns]] __NOTOC__
 
[[Category:Towns of the Loup Creek and White Oak Coal Fields]]
 
[[Category:Towns of the Loup Creek and White Oak Coal Fields]]
[[Image:Scarbro Wingrove Glen-Jean Redstar Hilltop Harvey Prudence 1911.png|thumb|1911 map showing Scarbro, Wingrove, Glen Jean, Redstar, Hilltop, Harvey, and Prudence]]
+
Prudence was developed as a company owned mining town in the early 1900s by the Prudence Coal & Coke Company, on a 1,300 acre coal lease.  The first shipment of coal from the Prudence coal plant occurred during the year ending June 30, 1902. The Prudence operation mined the Sewell coal seam, which in the general area, ran from four feet to seven feet in thickness and averaged about five and half feet. The Prudence mines were all drift openings.
Prudence was developed as a company owned mining town in the early 1900s by the Prudence Coal & Coke Company, on a 1,300 acre coal lease.  The first shipment of coal from the Prudence coal plant occurred during the year ending June 30, 1902.
+
  
The central surface operations of the Prudence plant was located along an unnamed tributary to [[Dunloup Creek]], northeast of [[Harvey, West Virginia|Harvey]], in [[Fayette County]]. However, several of the company's mine openings were located up to two miles away, further to the northeast, in the general vicinity of Sanger.  
+
[[File:Map Prudence Vicinity ca 1929.jpg|right|640px|map showing Prudence area]]The central surface operations of the Prudence plant was located along an unnamed tributary to [[Dunloup Creek]], northeast of [[Harvey, West Virginia|Harvey]], in [[Fayette County]]. However, several of the company's mine openings were located up to two miles away, further to the northeast, in the general vicinity of Sanger. (See map, at right.)
  
 +
The topography of the area of the lease was such that the coal seams were not continuous, and for this reason the coal seams were worked as more than one opening. Between 1901 and 1935, the mines operated by the Prudence Coal & Coke Company included Lyman, Nos. 1,2,&3, Jones, and Prudence.
 +
 +
The first mine opened, a mine named "Prudence", was located near the C&O spur track that ran along the unnamed tributary to Dunloup Creek. But considerable coal lay to the northeast, on the opposite side of an intervening hill. Originally, the company planned to install a complete and separate coal plant at this distant point, to be reached by building a railroad spur through a tunnel in the hillside. The tunnel was actually started, and nearly driven through, when it was decided to extend the mine haulage system to the more distant coal and to transport it back to the main plant.
 +
 +
 +
<br clear=all>
 
<h3>Map of Prudenceand Vicinity</h3>
 
<h3>Map of Prudenceand Vicinity</h3>
 
View a [http://www.wvexp.com/maps/Towns-of-the-Loup-Creek-and-White-Oak-Coal-Fields.html larger version] of this map
 
View a [http://www.wvexp.com/maps/Towns-of-the-Loup-Creek-and-White-Oak-Coal-Fields.html larger version] of this map

Revision as of 12:26, 25 June 2015

Prudence was developed as a company owned mining town in the early 1900s by the Prudence Coal & Coke Company, on a 1,300 acre coal lease. The first shipment of coal from the Prudence coal plant occurred during the year ending June 30, 1902. The Prudence operation mined the Sewell coal seam, which in the general area, ran from four feet to seven feet in thickness and averaged about five and half feet. The Prudence mines were all drift openings.

map showing Prudence area
The central surface operations of the Prudence plant was located along an unnamed tributary to Dunloup Creek, northeast of Harvey, in Fayette County. However, several of the company's mine openings were located up to two miles away, further to the northeast, in the general vicinity of Sanger. (See map, at right.)

The topography of the area of the lease was such that the coal seams were not continuous, and for this reason the coal seams were worked as more than one opening. Between 1901 and 1935, the mines operated by the Prudence Coal & Coke Company included Lyman, Nos. 1,2,&3, Jones, and Prudence.

The first mine opened, a mine named "Prudence", was located near the C&O spur track that ran along the unnamed tributary to Dunloup Creek. But considerable coal lay to the northeast, on the opposite side of an intervening hill. Originally, the company planned to install a complete and separate coal plant at this distant point, to be reached by building a railroad spur through a tunnel in the hillside. The tunnel was actually started, and nearly driven through, when it was decided to extend the mine haulage system to the more distant coal and to transport it back to the main plant.



Map of Prudenceand Vicinity

View a larger version of this map