WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Difference between revisions of "Prudence, West Virginia"

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 9: Line 9:
 
The first mine opened, a mine named "Prudence", was located along the 1/2-mile long spur track of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) that ran along the unnamed tributary to Dunloup Creek. (This mine was not marked on any of the early USGS maps.) But considerable coal lay to the northeast, on the opposite side of an intervening hill. Originally, the company planned to install a complete and separate coal plant at this distant point, to be reached by building a railroad spur through a tunnel in the hillside. The tunnel was actually started, and nearly driven through, when it was decided to extend the mine haulage system to the more distant coal and to transport it back to the main plant. Thus the tunnel was completed, but its portal was considerably smaller than what would have been required if it had been built to accommodate standard gauge railroad locomotives and cars.
 
The first mine opened, a mine named "Prudence", was located along the 1/2-mile long spur track of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) that ran along the unnamed tributary to Dunloup Creek. (This mine was not marked on any of the early USGS maps.) But considerable coal lay to the northeast, on the opposite side of an intervening hill. Originally, the company planned to install a complete and separate coal plant at this distant point, to be reached by building a railroad spur through a tunnel in the hillside. The tunnel was actually started, and nearly driven through, when it was decided to extend the mine haulage system to the more distant coal and to transport it back to the main plant. Thus the tunnel was completed, but its portal was considerably smaller than what would have been required if it had been built to accommodate standard gauge railroad locomotives and cars.
  
With the tunnel completed, a forty-four inch rail line, of about two miles in length, using forty-pound rails, was constructed to the mine openings. The early haulage system that ran on this line used two fifteen-ton Goodman two-motor type electric locomotives. One thousand tons of coal could usually be hauled within six hours by one locomotive. Normally, on each trip, the Goodman locomotive could handle thirty two-ton loaded cars.
+
With the tunnel completed, a forty-four inch rail line, of about two miles in length, using forty-pound rails, was constructed to the mine openings. The early haulage system that ran on this line used two fifteen-ton Goodman two-motor type electric locomotives. One thousand tons of coal could usually be hauled within six hours by one locomotive. Normally, on each trip, one Goodman locomotive could handle thirty two-ton loaded cars.
 
<br clear=all>
 
<br clear=all>
  

Revision as of 13:43, 25 June 2015

Prudence was developed as a company owned mining town in the early 1900s by the Prudence Coal & Coke Company, on a 1,300 acre coal lease. The first shipment of coal from the Prudence coal plant occurred during the year ending June 30, 1902. The Prudence operation mined the Sewell coal seam, which in the general area, ran from four feet to seven feet in thickness and averaged about five and half feet. The Prudence mines were all drift openings.

map showing Prudence area
The central surface operations of the Prudence plant was located along an unnamed tributary to Dunloup Creek, northeast of Harvey, in Fayette County. However, several of the company's mine openings were located up to two miles away, further to the northeast, in the general vicinity of Sanger. (See map, at right.)

The topography of the area of the lease was such that the coal seams were not continuous, and for this reason the coal seams were worked as more than one opening. Between 1901 and 1935, the mines operated by the Prudence Coal & Coke Company included Lyman, Nos. 1,2,&3, Jones, and Prudence.

The first mine opened, a mine named "Prudence", was located along the 1/2-mile long spur track of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) that ran along the unnamed tributary to Dunloup Creek. (This mine was not marked on any of the early USGS maps.) But considerable coal lay to the northeast, on the opposite side of an intervening hill. Originally, the company planned to install a complete and separate coal plant at this distant point, to be reached by building a railroad spur through a tunnel in the hillside. The tunnel was actually started, and nearly driven through, when it was decided to extend the mine haulage system to the more distant coal and to transport it back to the main plant. Thus the tunnel was completed, but its portal was considerably smaller than what would have been required if it had been built to accommodate standard gauge railroad locomotives and cars.

With the tunnel completed, a forty-four inch rail line, of about two miles in length, using forty-pound rails, was constructed to the mine openings. The early haulage system that ran on this line used two fifteen-ton Goodman two-motor type electric locomotives. One thousand tons of coal could usually be hauled within six hours by one locomotive. Normally, on each trip, one Goodman locomotive could handle thirty two-ton loaded cars.


Map of Prudenceand Vicinity

View a larger version of this map