WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Difference between revisions of "Red Ash (historical)"

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 6: Line 6:
 
The Red Ash mine and coke ovens were located across the New River and just-downstream of the operations at Beury. In 1906, Red Ash was operating 80 coke ovens.
 
The Red Ash mine and coke ovens were located across the New River and just-downstream of the operations at Beury. In 1906, Red Ash was operating 80 coke ovens.
  
State mining records indicate the Red Ash mine was operated by Red Ash Coal Co. from 1894-1904; New River Smokeless Coal Co. during 1905-1908; New River Collieries Co. from 1909-1911; and Scotia Coal & Coke Co. during 1912-1921. Mines named Dunlow, Finlow and Red Ash were among the names of the Red Ash Coal. Co. mines. The West Virginia Geological Survey for Fayette County (pub. 1919) indicated the mine named "Red Ash" had been abandoned, and the remaining coal was to be taken out via the [[Rush Run (historical)|Rush Run]] mine. The Rush Run mine was operated by Scotia Coal Company at that time.
+
State mining records indicate the Red Ash mine was operated by Red Ash Coal Co. from 1894-1904; New River Smokeless Coal Co. during 1905-1908; New River Collieries Co. from 1909-1911; and Scotia Coal & Coke Co. during 1912-1921. Mines named Dunlow, Finlow and Red Ash were among the names of the Red Ash Coal. Co. mines. The West Virginia Geological Survey for Fayette County (pub. 1919) indicated the mine named "Red Ash" had been abandoned, and the remaining coal was to be taken out via the [[Rush Run (historical)|Rush Run]] mine. The Rush Run mine was operated by Scotia Coal & Coke Company at that time. The account goes on to say that the Red Ash tipple had used bar screen to size its coal, indicating the slack coal was coked in beehive coke ovens. The estimated daily output was 450 tons, with 1,000 being its maximum. Thickness of the coal seam faied from 4'8" to 7'.  
  
 
On March 6, 1900, a mine explosion at the Red Ash mine killed 46 workers. Several young boys were among those killed that day, including one only 12 years old.
 
On March 6, 1900, a mine explosion at the Red Ash mine killed 46 workers. Several young boys were among those killed that day, including one only 12 years old.
  
 
''Rafter's Reference:'' the ruins of Red Ash are located at river-left, at the beginning of a broad bottom at river-left, just opposite and downstream of the ruins of Beury. The ruins are also accessible to hikers and bikers by way of the [http://www.newriverwv.com/Recreation_Hiking_Trails_Brooklyn_Southside_Junction_Trail.php  Brooklyn-Southside Junction Trail] or the [http://www.newriverwv.com/Recreation_Hiking_Trails_Cunard_Kaymoor_Trail.php Cunard-Kaymoor Trail].
 
''Rafter's Reference:'' the ruins of Red Ash are located at river-left, at the beginning of a broad bottom at river-left, just opposite and downstream of the ruins of Beury. The ruins are also accessible to hikers and bikers by way of the [http://www.newriverwv.com/Recreation_Hiking_Trails_Brooklyn_Southside_Junction_Trail.php  Brooklyn-Southside Junction Trail] or the [http://www.newriverwv.com/Recreation_Hiking_Trails_Cunard_Kaymoor_Trail.php Cunard-Kaymoor Trail].

Revision as of 16:43, 27 July 2015

Red Ash coal
1913 USGS map showing Red Ash mining operation
1901 C&O track diagram showing Red Ash
The Red Ash Coal & Coke Company was incorporated on Oct. 13, 1891 by F. Howard, John Laing, H. W. Henry, John H. Howard, and J. Fred Effinger. The first mine opened by the company was a mine named "Finlow."

The Red Ash mine and coke ovens were located across the New River and just-downstream of the operations at Beury. In 1906, Red Ash was operating 80 coke ovens.

State mining records indicate the Red Ash mine was operated by Red Ash Coal Co. from 1894-1904; New River Smokeless Coal Co. during 1905-1908; New River Collieries Co. from 1909-1911; and Scotia Coal & Coke Co. during 1912-1921. Mines named Dunlow, Finlow and Red Ash were among the names of the Red Ash Coal. Co. mines. The West Virginia Geological Survey for Fayette County (pub. 1919) indicated the mine named "Red Ash" had been abandoned, and the remaining coal was to be taken out via the Rush Run mine. The Rush Run mine was operated by Scotia Coal & Coke Company at that time. The account goes on to say that the Red Ash tipple had used bar screen to size its coal, indicating the slack coal was coked in beehive coke ovens. The estimated daily output was 450 tons, with 1,000 being its maximum. Thickness of the coal seam faied from 4'8" to 7'.

On March 6, 1900, a mine explosion at the Red Ash mine killed 46 workers. Several young boys were among those killed that day, including one only 12 years old.

Rafter's Reference: the ruins of Red Ash are located at river-left, at the beginning of a broad bottom at river-left, just opposite and downstream of the ruins of Beury. The ruins are also accessible to hikers and bikers by way of the Brooklyn-Southside Junction Trail or the Cunard-Kaymoor Trail.