The West Virginia. Cyclopedia
Red Ash (historical)
The Red Ash mine and coke ovens were located across the New River and just-downstream of the operations at Beury and about 1.5 miles downstream of the Rush Run mine. Red Ash was a drift mine, working the Fire Creek coal seam, also known as "Red Ash." The mine opening was located about 450 feet above New River. A 1,350 foot incline was used to bring the coal down to a tipple located along the C&O Railway's South Side branch along New River .
According to a C&O Railway book published in 1906, the Red Ash was operating 80 coke ovens. State mining records indicate the Red Ash mine was operated by Red Ash Coal Co. from 1894-1904; New River Smokeless Coal Co. during 1905-1908; New River Collieries Co. from 1909-1911; and Scotia Coal & Coke Co. during 1912-1921. Mines named Dunlow, Finlow and Red Ash were among the names of the Red Ash Coal. Co. mines. The West Virginia Geological Survey for Fayette County (pub. 1919)  indicated the mine named "Red Ash" had been abandoned, and the remaining coal was to be taken out via the Rush Run mine. The Rush Run mine was operated by Scotia Coal & Coke Company at that time. The account goes on to say that the Red Ash tipple had used bar screen to size its coal, indicating the slack coal was coked in beehive coke ovens. The estimated daily output was 450 tons, with 1,000 being its maximum. Thickness of the coal seam varied from 4'8" to 7'.
On March 6, 1900, a mine explosion at the Red Ash mine killed 46 workers. Several young boys were among those killed that day, including one only 12 years old. The mine explosion was caused by a build up of methane gas in the mine. Three miners working a short distance inside the drift mouth were injured by the force of the rushing air that resulted from the explosion.
Rafter's Reference: the ruins of Red Ash are located at river-left, at the beginning of a broad bottom at river-left, just opposite and downstream of the ruins of Beury. The ruins are also accessible to hikers and bikers by way of the Brooklyn-Southside Junction Trail or the Cunard-Kaymoor Trail.