WVExp.com
The West Virginia. Cyclopedia


Difference between revisions of "Scarbro, West Virginia"

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 3: Line 3:
 
[[Image:Scarbro Wingrove Glen-Jean Redstar Hilltop Harvey Prudence 1911.png|thumb|1911 map showing Scarbro, Wingrove, Glen Jean, Redstar, Hilltop, Harvey, and Prudence]]
 
[[Image:Scarbro Wingrove Glen-Jean Redstar Hilltop Harvey Prudence 1911.png|thumb|1911 map showing Scarbro, Wingrove, Glen Jean, Redstar, Hilltop, Harvey, and Prudence]]
 
[[Image:Scarbro Fan House and Abandoned Power House ca1915.jpg|thumb|Fan house and power house at Scarbro mine, ca. 1915]]
 
[[Image:Scarbro Fan House and Abandoned Power House ca1915.jpg|thumb|Fan house and power house at Scarbro mine, ca. 1915]]
 +
[[Image:Scarbro Tipple ca 1920.jpg|thumb|Tipple of the Scarbro mine, ca. 1920]]
 
Scarbro is located along White Oak Creek in [[Fayette County]]. Scarbro developed as a coal mining town in the early 1900s by the White Oak Fuel Company. Scarbro was incorporated as a town in 1901, but has since become an unincorporated community. Scarbro's population in 1910 was 1,533. The Scarbro colliery began shipping coal during the year ending June 30, 1902. During 1905 an electric plant was installed at the Scarbro mining operation.
 
Scarbro is located along White Oak Creek in [[Fayette County]]. Scarbro developed as a coal mining town in the early 1900s by the White Oak Fuel Company. Scarbro was incorporated as a town in 1901, but has since become an unincorporated community. Scarbro's population in 1910 was 1,533. The Scarbro colliery began shipping coal during the year ending June 30, 1902. During 1905 an electric plant was installed at the Scarbro mining operation.
  

Latest revision as of 00:34, 14 July 2015

1911 map showing Scarbro, Wingrove, Glen Jean, Redstar, Hilltop, Harvey, and Prudence
Fan house and power house at Scarbro mine, ca. 1915
Tipple of the Scarbro mine, ca. 1920

Scarbro is located along White Oak Creek in Fayette County. Scarbro developed as a coal mining town in the early 1900s by the White Oak Fuel Company. Scarbro was incorporated as a town in 1901, but has since become an unincorporated community. Scarbro's population in 1910 was 1,533. The Scarbro colliery began shipping coal during the year ending June 30, 1902. During 1905 an electric plant was installed at the Scarbro mining operation.

white_oak_scarbro_501.thumb.jpg  

Photo showing a White Oak Railway passenger train arriving at the Scarbro depot, ca 1906. Under agreement with the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O), the White Oak Railway operated passenger trains over the C&O branch line between Glen Jean and Carlisle.

      

Map of Scarbro and Vicinity

View a larger version of this map