The West Virginia. Cyclopedia

Sun, West Virginia

From West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia
Revision as of 17:45, 21 June 2015 by Gibsonian (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
Sun No. 2 Colliery, Sun, WV
Tipple and coke ovens at Sun No. 2, operated by New River Collieries Co.
Tipple and power plant of Sun No. 2, under operation by New River Collieries Co.
Beehive coke ovens of Sun No. 2 mine
Tipple and battery of coke ovens at the Sun No. 2 mine
Sun No. 1 mine, ca. 1912
Sun No. 1 mine, ca. 1914
Sun No. 1 mine, ca. 1914

Sun was developed as a company owned mining town in the late-1800s by the Sun Coal & Coke Company, a company incorporated on Aug. 20, 1896 by James Laing of Prince WV; John Laing and J.M. Laing of Red Ash WV; and Richard Jasper and W. N. Jasper of Red Star, WV. The Sun mine began shipping coal during the year ending June 30, 1898. The Sun mining operation soon became one of the largest producers in the Dunloup Creek coal field. By 1901, 125 coke ovens were in use at the Sun coal plant. An electric larry car was used to charge the ovens.

The New River Smokless Company operated the Sun mining operation during 1904-1909. During 1909-1923, the New River Collieries Company operated the Sun mines. The Stonega Coal & Coke Company operated the Sun mines during 1924-1931.

An article in the Dec. 12, 1914 edition of the Black Diamond noted that the Sun mine lease covered a 2,200 acre area. Two mines were operated on the property, both of which mined the Sewell seam. Mine No. 1 was a slope mine and Mine. No. 2 was a shaft mine 125 feet deep, however both mine openings were connected underground. Circa 1914, the mines were equipped with electric lights and were served by electric haulage. Total capacity of the Sun mines was 2.500 tons daily during this period.

Map of Sun and Vicinity

View a larger version of this map